Fall Grants: Oct. 23, 2018
Winter Grants: Late Jan., 2019
Spring Grants: Late Mar., 2019
The NEF partnered with Foundant Technologies in the spring of 2017 to roll out a new online grant application system. We are excited about this new system and hope you will find that it offers a better user experience.
How to Apply
Create an Account
- To apply for a grant or to view the application, you must create an account in the grant system.
- Go to the NEF Grant System Logon Page.
- Create an account with your email address and designate a password. We do not share your email with any outside organizations.
Note: The person who applies for the grant will serve as the NEF’s primary contact for the duration of the grant process.
Start a Grant Application
- Click on the Apply tab.
- Review the information for the grant cycle for which you wish to apply:
- To view a blank grant application, click on the “Preview” button.
- Click on the “Apply” button to start an application.
- Each question response will be saved as it is answered, or you can choose to click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the application.
Share or Print Your Grant Application
- To collaborate with other grant writers, you may prefer to write the application in a Google Doc or Word document and then cut and paste your text into the online application, as there isn’t a way to collaborate within the grant system. The system does not support formatting such as bullets or tables, so these items will lose their formatting when pasted.
- To share your application, click on the “Application Packet” button at the top of the application to create a PDF file. This button will appear once you have saved the application. The PDF file can be emailed to whomever you wish.
- To print your application, click on the “Application Packet” button and print the PDF file.
Note: Unlike in the old system, principals will not be able to view your application until it is submitted. It is highly recommended that you send them a copy of the application prior to submission. The NEF Administrative Director does have access to your application throughout the process; should you have questions, simply contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save and Return to Your Grant Application
- Since the system saves each response as it is answered, you may leave the application and return to it at any time. You may also click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the application.
- Once you have started an application, quickly return to the Grant system by clicking the “Grant App Login” link at the top right of the NEF website or by bookmarking the Grant system website.
- To return to your grant application, login using your email address and password and click on “Edit Application” next to the grant you were working on.
Upload Attachments to Your Application
- Should you wish to add an attachment to your grant application, such as a picture of a requested item, please use the “File Attachments” section of the application. This section allows for up to 5 attachments.
- Please note: Attachments should be used solely for support or clarification of your application; all pertinent grant project information should be included in the application.
Cancel Your Grant Application
- If, for any reason, you decide not to complete the grant application process, please contact the NEF Administrative Director at email@example.com. Once cancelled, the application will still be viewable on the grant system dashboard should you wish to apply in the future.
- Contact the NEF Administrative Director if you would like to re-open a cancelled application during the same grant cycle. Once the original grant cycle has ended, a cancelled application must be copied into a new application.
Submit Your Grant Application
- Fill out all required fields.
- Select the required approvals for your application.
- Agree to the Grant Application User Agreement.
- Preview your application by clicking on the “Application Packet” button at the top of the application to make sure that you are satisfied with your responses. Once submitted, you will NOT be able to edit the application.
- Click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the application.
- You will receive an automated email to confirm receipt of your application.
- You will receive another email once all authorizations for your grant have been completed.
Note: The NEF Administrative Director will cancel your application if it is not submitted by the grant deadline. A cancelled application is viewable from the grant system dashboard, but can no longer be edited. If you choose to apply for a grant during a future grant cycle, you can copy and paste the text into a new application.
Notifications During Grant Review Process
- While your application is under review by the NEF Grant Committee, you may receive an email with follow-up questions from a committee member as part of our normal review process. Large grant applicants may be invited for an interview.
- Approximately 4 weeks after the grant deadline, you will receive an email notifying you whether your grant has been awarded or denied.
Post-Award Grant Forms and Notifications
- If your grant is awarded, the grant system will send automatic notifications for the two post-award grant forms detailed below. Notices are sent 14 days prior to the deadline, 1 day past the deadline, and when the forms are received by NEF.
- Grant Implementation Form – at the start of your project to keep us up to date with regard to your project timeline
- Grant Reflection Form – at the end of your project to let us know how the grant project went
- Grant projects must be completed within one year of the award date. If you need to extend this time frame, or if you would like re-allocate some of your grant funds, complete the Grant Extension/Amendment Form that is available on the Apply tab in the grant system. Once the form is submitted, you will receive notification of approval or denial.
We appreciate any feedback you would like to share about our new grant application system.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments or questions. Thank you.